In the 1930's, the Ashworth-Hawkinson Company began a road building operation out of an office and yard in St. Louis Park, MN. The partnership
shifted north in the 1940's and performed bituminous paving work in several northern Minnesota counties. In the late 1940's, the Ashworth-Hawkinson
partnership split up with the Hawkinsons keeping the northern operations.
Hawkinson Construction Company was formed in 1948 as a partnership between Clarence Hawkinson, his son, Mike Hawkinson,
and their wives, Evelyn and Sair. The new company centered its operations out of Grand Rapids, and, in 1953, Clarence and Mike
moved their families to Grand Rapids. Also in 1953, the company opened the Mishawaka gravel deposit south of Grand Rapids, which was recognized as an exceptional
Over the next several decades, Hawkinson Construction established itself as a leading road contractor, specializing
in gravel surfacing and hot mix asphalt. Through a series of plant upgrades and additions, our capacity grew with the region.
We are proud of the highly competent work force and management team that we have assembled.
In 1986, Mark Hawkinson became president and began the third generation of leadership in the family-owned business.
Today, Mark, his management team, and employees, share the company vision of quality and craftsmanship so valued by Clarence
and Mike Hawkinson.
Bovey, MN - 1940's
Northern Minnesota - 1940's
Two Harbors, MN - 1946
New Barber Greene Plant
Grand Rapids - 1977
Grand Rapids - 2008
501 County Road 63 • P.O. Box 278
Grand Rapids, MN 55744
(218) 326-0309 •